Habits – The Key To Success (Or Failure!)
“ We are what we repeatedly do, excellence, then is not an act but is a habit” – Aristotle
We have all been there; A year has passed once again and a new year is fast approaching. Committing to ourselves things such as going to the gym, eating healthier, studying daily, reading more and the list goes on and on.
Whether it’s good or bad, our habits sub consciously take repetition to become our daily routines. Our good habits provide reward and satisfaction, our bad with a sense of remorse or failure.
Good habits can be a tough thing to build. Through willpower and self-discipline worked into our daily routines, it is then we find the development of positive and sustainable habits. As Benjamin Franklin says “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail”
So discuss a plan! Below you will find 5 key steps you can implement to ensure you create healthy habits. When following these steps, you can have epic habit building in no time!
- Start small, dream big – Having big end goals is great! Make sure you start your list off with smaller habits. For example, dedicate 20 minutes down time to reading a couple of chapters in your favorite book! Starting small allows you to meet goals quicker which helps motivate you to meet the next habit.
- Be accountable – Create a list of habits you would like to maintain, make sure you hold yourself accountable. Keep track of the days you slip up. For example, “Didn’t make it to the gym” or “Skipped study session”. Using a strategy like this holds you accountable. It’s also great way to measure and motivate yourself!
- Patience is Key – Be patient about meeting your goals, success takes time. Remember that every successful habit takes repetition to be implemented. Be prepared for failures, just be patient and continue.
- Develop a strategy for fails – Falling off the wagon is a tough thing to swallow. Remind yourself that it takes determination and will power to create healthy habits. Create a strategy for when you need to pick yourself up to get back on track. a) Focus on how this new habit will make you feel, look or accomplish. b) Surround yourself with like minded people. c) Focus on the victories, no matter how small.
- Positive thinking – Remind yourself keep positive, don’t let negativity make you lose sight of end goals. Focus and reward yourself. Surround yourself with positive people and positive environments, this will ensure to keep you in the right mind set.
With following these simple guidelines and steps in addition to will power you new habits can become a part of your daily routine. Remember will power is key, you have to want something to make it happen. Don’t give yourself excuses. Habits can be work ethics, health goals and financial successes. Maintenance is key, keep on top of yourself. What are the habits that you are trying to blend into your daily lifestyle?
OneMotion helps organizations choose and deploy software in a way that their teams will actually use it. Ever hear someone complain that ‘they’ve tried 10 different tools and none of them worked’? That’s usually a people problem, not a tool problem and we are all about fixing those people problems. Talk to us to find out more!